I have a long commute to and from work everyday and lately I’ve been less than thrilled with the radio stations in the city.
I’m such a newbie on the tech scene that I knew nothing about podcasts. I had no idea what that purple icon on my phone was until I attended a professional development course where one of the participants was talking about podcasts and TED talks.
After that I started listening to inspirational podcasts all the time – commuting to work, folding laundry, grocery shopping, at the gym – you name it. Anytime I’m doing a chore or I’m alone in the car I’ve got a podcast playing and I’m learning something new. I love being able to learn and do my errands and chores at the same time.
How do I play a podcast?
If you’re like me and not familiar with the world of podcasting here’s how you access podcasts on your phone. When I’m alone in the car I find the podcast I want to listen to before I start driving, turn off the radio and listen. I never use earphones while driving in the car.
I have an iPhone so this is what I do.
1. Go to the home screen on your phone
2. You’ll see a little purple icon with a stylized “i”
3. Click on the icon and a screen like the one to the right should pop up
4. Then click to the magnifying glass/search function (at the bottom on the left)
5. A search bar should pop up on the top of your screen
6. Type in a topic you want to explore and a screen will pop up
7. There are 3 different views:
b. podcast episodes
8. I find the “all” screen kind of confusing so I typically go to the “podcast button” if I’m searching a topic like “blogging” or “healthy eating”.
9. If I know the name of the podcast I’m looking for I’ll just go to the “podcast episode” button and choose from there.
10. If you like what you hear you can subscribe by simply pressing the “subscribe” button and new episodes will pop up when they are available.