I have a long commute to and from work everyday and lately I’ve been less than thrilled with the radio stations in the city.
I’m such a newbie on the tech scene that I knew nothing about podcasts. I had no idea what that purple icon on my phone was until I attended a professional development course where one of the participants was talking about podcasts and TED talks.
After that I started listening to inspirational podcasts all the time – commuting to work, folding laundry, grocery shopping, at the gym – you name it. Anytime I’m doing a chore or I’m alone in the car I’ve got a podcast playing and I’m learning something new. I love being able to learn and do my errands and chores at the same time.
How do I play a podcast?
If you’re like me and not familiar with the world of podcasting here’s how you access podcasts on your phone. When I’m alone in the car I find the podcast I want to listen to before I start driving, turn off the radio and listen. I never use earphones while driving in the car.
I have an iPhone so this is what I do.
1. Go to the home screen on your phone
2. You’ll see a little purple icon with a stylized “i”
3. Click on the icon and a screen like the one to the right should pop up
4. Then click to the magnifying glass/search function (at the bottom on the left)
5. A search bar should pop up on the top of your screen
6. Type in a topic you want to explore and a screen will pop up
7. There are 3 different views:
b. podcast episodes
8. I find the “all” screen kind of confusing so I typically go to the “podcast button” if I’m searching a topic like “blogging” or “healthy eating”.
9. If I know the name of the podcast I’m looking for I’ll just go to the “podcast episode” button and choose from there.
10. If you like what you hear you can subscribe by simply pressing the “subscribe” button and new episodes will pop up when they are available.
My Top 5 Favourite Inspirational Podcasts:
Look no further to find educational & inspirational #podcasts! Click To Tweet
These are perfect for my commute and focus on a variety of different topics that keep me interested. Everything is pretty random but very cool. I had no idea how ants work together as a team until I listened to a TED Talk on the topic.
Jess Lively has such a positive and inspirational outlook on life. Her guests are a great mix of people from many different professional backgrounds. I find I learn so much listening to each podcast. I started right at the beginning with this one and I’m working my way through these amazing shows. One of my favourite episodes is from August 21, 2014 where Jess spoke to Taylor Sterling of The Glitter Guide about balancing work and motherhood since this is a daily challenge for me too.
Natalie’s guests are women just like you and I – moms balancing work, life and everything in between. I find it’s easy to learn about different topics when I relate well to the interviewer and interviewees. I’m moving around with this podcast a bit more and found Natalie’s episodes 174 (The Peaceful Home) and 175 (The Productive Home) full of useful realistic tips and inspiration.
This podcast is by the Pinch of Yum blog team. While my baby blog isn’t all about food and recipes they have some really helpful tips for all bloggers and online entrepreneurs. Some of my favourite episodes include #24 Finding Balance with Ali Ebright from Gimme Some Oven and #18 How to Build and Online Business without Blogging with Jadah Sellner from Simple Green Smoothies.
This is a classic podcast by Pat Flynn. Pat is very honest and genuine about the tips and tools he uses to make money online. New bloggers like me can learn so much from listening to Pat’s experiences and be inspired by his story and the stories of his numerous guests. I found episode 8 How to get more Traffic with Corbett Barr, episode 48 How a Part Time Blogger Landed his Dream Job and episode 63 monetizing a Hobby Blog really interesting and motivating. I also really enjoyed episode 167 where Pat talks to Chalene Johnson.
Please let me know your favourite inspirational podcasts in the comments. I’m always looking to check out new shows!
Check out these posts for additional helpful resources!
- Favourite Podcasts for New Bloggers Part I
- Helpful Blogging Tools and Resources
- 5 of the Best Apps for Bloggers
- Secrets to Blogging Success: A Review of Traffic Transformation